Monday, November 05, 2007

male bodies

Horace, at To Delight and Instruct:


2) My point here is to note the contradiction between the use of embodied (and masculinist) metaphors while actual bodies are being hidden, which sometimes seems a rhetorical strategy to sublimate masculinist discourse while maintaining its hegemony. So I think that reinforcing this "about the mind and not about the body" divide is actually disguising some real issues in the discourse of gender in academia.


He's writing in response to a critic of this post on academic masculinity. It's a question that frustrates me to no end. And one that I've yet to find a productive way of thinking about: I 'm much better at considering myself a feminist than I am at considering my own male privilege and its limitations.

Right now, though, I'm just sitting here thinking about that last bit: "a rhetorical strategy to sublimate masculinist discourse while maintaining its hegemony." How do embodied metaphors affect the person thinking with them? Does it matter how dead the metaphor is?